Kids Fishing Derby
Welcome to the First Annual Riverside Kids Fishing Derby!
2:00 to 3:00 p.m. Check-In (All participants must register online prior to June 11.)
3:00 to 6:00 p.m. Fishing
6:10 to 6:40 p.m. Awards and prizes at the check-in tent
- There are four age groups for the derby: 3-5; 6-8; 9-11; and 12-15.
- All children under 12 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.
- Children 15 and younger do not need a fishing license.
- Parents may assist children in the 3-5 year age group. All other age groups must cast, hook, and catch fish on their own. Parents may assist all age groups with baiting the hook and taking fish off the hook-if a parent does more than that then they must have a valid fishing license.
- All participants must provide their own fishing gear and bait. There will be a limited number of fishing gear and bait available on a first-come-first-serve basis.
- If your child needs help with getting ready, baiting the hook, fish removal, etc., look for our volunteers with Derby T-shirts. We’ll be glad to help!
- Fishing is limited to designated areas.
- Each child may only have one rod with one hook or lure in use at any time.
- All species of fish caught count towards a child’s total catch.
- Kids MUST NOT cast when people are walking behind them or in a way that interferes with other children fishing. Parents need to monitor this carefully in the interest of safety.
- This is a Catch and Release event. All fish must be carefully handled and returned to the water in a responsible way. Ask for help from our volunteers if you need it. The Derby encourages, but does not require, barbless hooks.
Recording Fish Catches
When you catch a fish, notify a Fishing Derby Volunteer who will record your fish on your tally sheet.
Awards and Prizes
There are four awards divisions based on age group. There will be a grand prize for each age based on highest number of fish. If there is a tie, then the grand prize will be awarded by drawing. There will also be a trophy for first fish caught in each age group.
After awarding the grand prizes and trophies, there will be a raffle with age-appropriate prizes for each age group. If a child wins a raffle prize, he or she will select their prize from the appropriate raffle selection for their age group.
A child must be present at the award and raffle presentations to win. No exceptions!
A big Thank You! to our sponsors Riverside Bank, Riverside Junior Woman's Charity, and Fairwind Sail Charters. And thank you to our wonderful volunteers and to the the Riverside Parks and Recreation Department for managing the event!
Be Safe, Enjoy Our Beautiful River, and Have Fun!
Session Day(s) Times Location Age Participants
- No sessions
Session Day(s) Times Dates Location Age Participants
Kids Fishing Derby Su 3:00 PM — 6:00 PM
Would you like to sign in/create an account or proceed as a guest?Swan Pond Riverside, IL 60546
- 3:00 PM — 6:00 PM
Riverside, IL 60546
Registration for this session begins May 11, 2017 and ends June 3, 2017.