To ensure proper social distancing and to reduce in-person contact during the COVID-19 pandemic, we encourage the electronic submission of all permit and license applications. To this end, we have implemented online payment processes to allow for the remote payment of building permit fees, Contractor’s License fees, and Certificate of Compliance fees. Once applications have been reviewed, we will send an invoice and online payment instructions via the email provided at time of application.
Although Village offices are now open to the public, we encourage you to mail or email your applications to email@example.com. They can also be dropped off in the silver drop box in front of Riverside Township Hall or brought in to the Building Department front desk.
In-person building and compliance inspections have resumed. Please call 708-447-1241 to schedule.
The Community Development Department is responsible for issues related to land use and development. To carry out these duties we:
- administer the Village’s codes and standards as set forth in the Municipal Code and the CMAP Central Business District Plan;
- conduct long-range planning projects;
- review development proposals;
- implement Village policies related to economic development, historic preservation, and land use;
- enforce the building codes, issue permits, and conduct inspections of all phases of construction to ensure that building and fire regulations are being met to protect the safety, health and welfare of residents;
- implement the rental registration and inspection program for properties with three or more rental units; and
- respond to questions about drainage and stormwater management.
The Department also conducts annual business life safety inspections in conjunction with the Fire Department. The Department serves as the liaison for the Planning & Zoning Commission, the Preservation Commission, and the Economic Development Commission.
Residential Rental Registration Program
In 2021, the Board of Trustees approved a new rental registration program for multi-family properties. Rental properties must register contact information for building ownership and identify the number and addresses of units in the building, along with various other information. Each unit must be inspected once every three years, to ensure quality of life and safety of residents in Riverside. Multi-family buildings with only owner-occupied units are not included in this program.
Program information, registration, inspection scheduling, and Frequently-Asked-Questions can be found on the Rental Registration Program webpage.
Bed and Breakfast License
The Village approved the bed and breakfast license ordinance in 2013. The license is valid for one year from the date of issuance. The license allows the owner/operator to provide sleeping accommodations in up to five (5) guestrooms without cooking facilities, and breakfast. No alcoholic liquor shall be sold or otherwise provided for use or consumption by registered guests on the licensed premises. Bed and breakfasts are permitted in business districts. They are a Special Use in residential districts and require additional approval from the Board.