Although the daylight hours are waning, there are still plenty of opportunities to enjoy the outdoors. Riverside is a wonderful community for walking, running, or bike riding, but please use caution in the early morning or evening hours when it is now dark outside. Drivers should also be aware of the recently installed “sharrows” on Forest Avenue. The sharrows are meant to remind motorists to share the road with bicyclists. With safety in mind, the Riverside Police Department offers the following safety tips:
- Always ride with traffic and follow all of the Rules of the Road.
- Ride in a straight line and use hand signals when turning and stopping.
- Obey traffic signs, signals, and lane markings and yield to traffic when appropriate, including pedestrians.
- Try to avoid riding on the sidewalk. You are more visible to motorists while on the road.
- Be predictable and visible.
- Try not to be hesitant or do things that motorists might not be expecting.
- Make sure everyone can see you by wearing bright reflective clothing.
- If riding at night, use headlights, taillights and reflectors.
- Do not wear headphones or talk on a cell phone while bicycling!
- Stay alert and avoid distractions.
- Put your phone away and pay attention to motorists and other pedestrians.
- Never assume that a driver will give you the right away.
- Try to make eye contact with turning motorists to better ensure that they have seen you.
- Use crosswalks when crossing the street and try to stay in well-lit areas.
- Avoid walking on busy streets or highways and avoid alcohol consumption while walking.
- Be visible and wear bright or reflective clothing when possible.