Dry conditions coupled with warm temperatures have created ideal conditions for the production of mosquitoes involved in the transmission of West Nile Virus (WNV), and subsequent amplification of WNV within the adult mosquito population. With the elevated risk of WNV transmission, residents are encouraged to use a common sense approach in avoiding exposure to adult mosquitoes and any potential mosquito-borne diseases. Window screens should be inspected and repaired if damaged to prevent mosquitoes from entering the home. In addition, any openings around window air conditioners, clothes dryer vents, etc. should be eliminated for the same reason. If possible, avoid outdoor activities around dusk. If not possible, wear shoes, socks, long pants and a long-sleeved shirt. Loose fitting, light colored clothing is best. Appropriate use of insect repellents per manufacturer’s instructions is recommended.
Residents should look for potential mosquito breeding sources around the home and take the following simple steps:
1) Throw away all trash that can hold water as cans, jars, bottles, etc.
2) Clean rain gutters/downspouts to prevent water from standing in gutters or on flat roofs.
3) Change water in bird baths, wading pools, etc. at least once a week.
4) Maintain swimming pools properly.
5) Remove or turn over containers, buckets, wheel barrows, etc. which may accumulate water.
6) Screen rain barrels to prevent adult mosquitoes from depositing eggs on the water’s surface.
7) Aerate ornamental ponds and stock with goldfish or other surface-feeding fish to control
8) Dispose of any used tires without rims to prevent water accumulation.
The Des Plaines Valley Mosquito Abatement District is maintaining an aggressive mosquito larval control program to prevent the emergence of adult mosquitoes, and has utilized contingency adult mosquito spraying operations to reduce WNV transmission potential. Any spraying for adult mosquitoes will be conducted during evening hours between dusk and midnight. The District lists all areas to be sprayed on a particular evening on its website and in a recorded message available after 3:30pm at 708-447-1765.