School District 208 started classes today, Monday, August 15 and School District 96 starts on Monday, August 22. This is your friendly reminder from the Riverside Police Department to be mindful of safety as school traffic picks up again.
The Riverside Police Department will be conducting extra patrols near our schools and surrounding neighborhoods. These extra patrols are to encourage residents to obey the school zone speed limits and comply with “no parking” signs. Please refer to the individual school to identify proper drop-off and pick-up locations.
- Plan for longer commute times near school zones
- Be aware of school speed zones and reduce your speed accordingly
- Refrain from using your cell phones in school zones
- Pay extra attention to students walking to and from school
- Drive cautiously near residential bus stop locations.
For Students walking to and from school:
- Always look both ways before crossing the street
- Obey the crossing guards
- Try to walk with a parent, sibling, friend or neighbor
Labor Day Safe Driving Campaign
The Riverside Police Department will be participating in the Illinois Department of Transportation’s (IDOT) Labor Day DUI and Occupant Protection Traffic Enforcement Campaigns from Friday, August 19, until Tuesday, September 6. These traffic campaigns are fully-funded by federal safety funds through IDOT’s Bureau of Safety Programs & Engineering.
The police department encourages everyone to have a safe Labor Day weekend. Please wear your seat belt and do not allow friends or family members to drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs.