In 1875, Charles A. Teale became the Village’s first police officer earning him a $30 monthly salary. He patrolled the village regularly on his bicycle and knew every resident by name and where they lived.
Officer Teale’s duties included acting as Village Pound Master. He spent a portion of his time rounding up stray cattle, fowl, swine, and sheep. He secured the animals in an old barn where the current Township Hall stands today. Owners paid a $1 fine for allowing their livestock to run amok.