In 1862, the Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy Railroad organized a rail system to run west from Chicago parallel to South West Plank Road. The Railroad purchased a strip of land from William Wesencraft for a right-of-way and laid a double track, starting in Chicago and heading west to the Des Plaines River.
The Railroad opened for operation in May 1864 and built a station at the west terminal in Riverside called "Lyons." By 1871, Riverside attracted many visitors to enjoy its beautiful curved streets and open spaces. The daily passenger trains increased to twelve between the Central Depot and Riverside to accommodate the large numbers of visitors coming to Riverside.
Interested in learning more about Riverside history? Stop by the Historical Museum at 10 Pine Street, open Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.